<VV> 63' 102/PG idle (update)

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sat May 14 22:45:35 EDT 2011

Ok,  So I changed the distributor to another I had on hand and now I've got
the 63' running and idling nicely now... I think everything is about right
but the car still has a pretty noticeable hesitation when taking off from a
stop.

I went through the whole carb sync (idle and 1200rpm), choke, and linkage
adjust procedure... both accelerator pumps are working, coil is new,
cap/points/rotor are new, wires are new, plugs are nearly new and look
great.....  Timing is set to 14 degrees base, dwell is 33 degrees on the
meter.  The vacuum advance can might not be perfect but it works... starts
moving at about 6.5 inches of vaccum.  The jets are 52's but the plugs
looked fantastic after a year of driving (tan/light brown).

The only other variable I can come up with is the centrifugal advance
curve...  the weights are well lubed and working nicely, the only thing is
the distributor is a generic replacement that most likely has a different
curve than stock.    She runs beautifully and idles smoothly at under 600
rpm in drive.

Today I advanced the base timing back to 18 degrees and it is a little
better (better power too) but the hesitation is still present and
irritating. The hesitation is only when taking off from a stop... stomping
the pedal when driving down the road it works fine.

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez
Lake Ariel, PA