<VV> Got my kicks...

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon May 16 02:19:18 EDT 2011

_AeroNed at aol.com_ (mailto:AeroNed at aol.com)  writes:

Oh, but  I wasn't done yet. This morning I participated in a Porsche club
autocross with my 65 coupe with a 95/PG. The odd thing today was that I
wasn't  the only air cooled 6 cylinder. Most of the time, the  Porsches are
the
water  cooled Boxer variety. Today there was a 914/6  and a old 911. My car
was extremely slow compared to my silver car but  not the slowest car
today. Yup, my 95/PG on street tires beat a few   Porsches! You can bet I won't
remind my coworker PCA members of that too  often. You'd lose the bet
though...

This was an autocross weekend for me as well. (Despite a rainy Sunday  -
off and on.) Saturday was a Lockheed autocross event. I showed up a little
late so I got to choose between the first run group (dirty course) - or fourth
 group (last) - 3+ hour wait. I had other things to do so chose first group
 - actually, I was the first car on course (which sucks) and the car really
 didn't want to turn - old/cold tires and a cold dirty track. On my second
run,  the telltale gen light came on, and I exited and checked to see a
departed belt.  Worse though (I had spares) the bolt that the spring loaded
idler rotated  around had backed almost completely out. I could hand tighten it,
but  had no 9/16 wrench handy. (shame on me!) But since I had run early, I
had time to hitch the car back up, haul it home, clean, loctite the bolt
correctly, and haul the car back to the site. Just in time to make my final
two runs at the end of the fourth group. With everything warmer, the tires
worked better and I cut more time off the clock. There were fun runs
offered,  but the car was running so well, I decided to hold that in hand for
today's Duel  at De Anza event, a yearly autocross fund raiser for the De Anza
College Auto  Tech Club. (I am a 1972 alum) Almost 300 cars run, and it
usually has  several hundred spectators, as well. It rained overnight, but this
morning  started off dry, then it poured, and hailed, then dried, then poured
again,  then finally dried off for good by about 2 PM. I waited through the
"seasons"  and ran on dry pavement at about 2:30. It was really a Corvair cou
rse, with no  long straightaways, lots of sweeping turns and a few
chicanes. It was the  most fun I have had on course this year! I was coneless and
the Corvair got a  lot of attention. I took the class and beat a few Corvettes
as well. FTD  was a GT2 Porsche AIR COOLED! - This is a National Champion
A/SP car, and  it was very fast. Great autocross day. Next up? Prepare for
Denver!

Seth Emerson