<VV> New Cast Aluminum Corvair Cylinder Heads

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue May 17 19:12:17 EDT 2011

Gary, I can answer a few of your questions.
1. Chevrolet used standard pistons for earlies and lates, all with
flat tops accept for the later gen smog engines which are rare.
2. GM used the shape and size of the compression chamber to establish
compression and CC's, so you will see a variety of head chamber
designs.
3. I would assume that the 140 design for that and the 110 would be
the most popular, however, my particular 102 hp heads were modified to
look like 95 heads, with the chamber smaller and, coincidentally, my
heads have the spark plugs angled towards the exhaust valve. (Make
sure you angle them to be centered into the top shroud openings for
the spark plug wires.)

4. If you would like to see PICs of the heads chamber design and spark
plug placement I have, I can email them to you later in the week with
a description of the differences. I am currently on a business trip.
Unfortunately, the heads are back on the engine and in the car, or you
could see them.

When I bought the car, I asked the owner about the different spark
plugs, they are taper seat design, and he said the heads were off and
had some performance mods done to them. It runs really well.

5. I recommend Ray Sedman of American PI, or Steve Goodman both of
which do performance engines to include EFI mods.
6. The temp sender for the non turbo's goes in the right head. The
Temp sender for Turbo's went into the left head. So you should just
plan for one in the head design.

All your improvements sound good.