<VV> PG (and engine too) Dipstick tube: Help!

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Thu May 19 19:20:28 EDT 2011

I've been putting off trying to fix the nasty PG leak on the 63' for months
because I had noticed the dipstick tube base seemed leaky and put a wrench
on it... discovering it didn't want to turn.  I was afraid It'd break and
leave the car unserviceable.  Today I set out to give it a shot since Missy
is off work (and therefore the car off duty) for a couple days.  I have a
"drop the pan" gasket kit from Clark's on hand.

Well it turns out my fears were founded...  as soon as I put a good twist on
the filler tube nut the tube twisted right off.  Now I'm down a filler tube
and it will cause a major inconvenience each day the car isn't drivable.

Are there any fixes for this besides ordering a used one?  I'm kinda hoping
I can fix it with generic parts of some kind...  but if not I'll have to
order the used replacement first thing in the morning.

I have a similar issue (but not near so pressing) with an engine dipstick
tube... as you recall I asked a while back about removing and installing
them.  The one on my rusty "parts" engine was too rusty and came apart on
me... leaving me without a replacement for the damaged one in the project
car.  I ordered a repro from Clark's but they notified me that it is no
longer available.

I'm going to try to fix the one I have with what I have on hand... probably
sleeve it back together (it is cut off just two inches or so from the top).
If I can't make an acceptable repair I'll need a salvage engine dipstick
tube as well (140 engine).

Thanks,

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez