<VV> alternator failure oddball question

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Mon May 23 00:00:19 EDT 2011

Or, you may have problems internally in the Alternator and it can't
keep up. You can tell if it is the alternator by sticking that
screwdriver to the case and sticking your ear to the end of the
screwdriver, the sound will be amplified and transmitted up to your
ear thru the screwdriver.

Regardless of the fact that it is only a couple of years old, take the
ting off and split the case. You might have problems with the brushes
and commutator that could cause low voltage and the subsequent other
problems.

If everything looks ok, all you have to do is to put the brushes back
in their holder, stich a toothpick thru the brushholder hole to keep
the brushes back, and slip it back together. Very simple, then pull
the toothpick out.  Its a half hour job, you could even do it on the
car after loosening the belt first , just pull the back half of the
case off and take a look.

Bearings and brushes are easily available at any FLAPS and are easy to
change. Its a bigger problem if the commutator rings are messed up.

Mark Durham