<VV> alternator failure oddball question

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Mon May 23 18:38:33 EDT 2011

Everett,

     This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for, thanks so
much!  I have now discovered that as I suspected the Alternator was not
charging on my way home... which caused low voltage as the battery ran down
and very likely my moment of ignition loss.... this is a big relief.

     I swapped on another alternator today and found that it still wasn't
charging.  Next place I looked was the voltage regulator (also fairly new)
and discovered that somehow the 4-plug connector had become loose... just
enough that it wasn't working properly.  I cleaned the connector, got it
plugged in nice and tight (and the clip set) and everything seems fine now.

     Maybe the strange noise was because the Alternator was free-wheeling?
Or perhaps the connection was making and breaking at a high rate?  I'll
check out that alternator before it goes back on a car anyway.

     As far as the screwdriver trick that is a great tip, but I have a
mechanics stethoscope =).  I use it primarily for checking bearings, my dad
taught me how to use it when I was in my teens.

Ray R.
Lake Ariel,PA