<VV> Fuel pump eccentric

Rodney Spooner rodneyspooner at corvairgarage.com
Sun May 29 20:41:11 EDT 2011

Just this week I accidentally discovered something rather interesting during
the replacement of the mechanical fuel pump in "Ole Blue" (to keep my 1960
4-door original)...

Here's the Reader's Digest Condensed version: I was visiting my Mom and Dad
200 miles from my home when I decided to replace a leaky mechanical fuel
pump. After replacing it and connecting the fuel lines (but NOT install the
lock screw and nut at the pump's base) I accidentally discovered that I
could prime the fuel pump and fill the carburetor bowls by pushing down and
releasing the pump several times. Then I installed and tightened the lock
screw and nut. After a very nice visit I had an enjoyable ride back home.

I've been reading all of the recent threads about filling the carburetor
bowls and hadn't read anything about this procedure. I don't know if it
would help solve a vapor lock problem or not (I've never had that problem
yet). Doubt it would prevent one though. Sure beats pressurizing the fuel
tank to push the fuel though the lines.

It seems to me that it would also simply and positively demonstrate that the
eccentric, push rod, and pump are all functioning properly wouldn't it?

Rodney Spooner
Riverside, CA 92501