<VV> ZDDP

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Wed Nov 2 21:56:32 EDT 2011

Completely correct.  If you don't have enough Zinc and Phosphorous
you WILL flatten your cam, especially if during break in.  I learned
the hard way on two engines done right when the ZDDP was removed and
nobody knew this and the engine shop insisted on 5k with dino oil for
break in or no warranty.  After they ate (and made good on) the 2
engines they were happy to put Mobil 1 15-50 in for break in.  Mobil
says it is OK and it has enough ZDDP.  So far each has gone more than
30k no problems (it took one 14k and one 10k to flatten the cam --
brand new cams from Clarks).  One engine is not a fair test, I put an
NOS cam into my Spyder, maybe it was better than the Clarks.  But I
don't think so as the other car has the same 270 Clarks cam.  I have
non Corvair car with flat tappets as well -- use Mobil 1 15-50 or
something with correct ZDDP.  Some people sell additives ... I don't
think that is as good, though I have no proof of it, just a niggling
feeling.  Eric

At 05:25 PM 11/2/2011, you wrote:
>From: "J R Read" <hmlinc at sbcglobal.net>
>Subject: Re: <VV> ZDDP
>To: "Jimmy Harris" <harrisjimmy60 at yahoo.com>,
>         <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
>Reformulated oil which does less damage to catalytic converters.  Not good
>for our flat tappet engines.  We need 1100 IIRC ppm of zinc/phosphorus in
>the oil.  Anything after SJ or SL rating and you run a risk of flattening a
>love on the cam.
>
>Check the Mobil 1 chart at their web site.  Last time I looked, they had two
>oils with sufficient ZDDP.
>
>Later, JR

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )