<VV> Foam rods for Headers

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Sat Nov 5 07:16:27 EDT 2011

On Nov 4, 2011, at 3:46 PM, BBRT wrote:

> Any comments re this stuff? Insert wire of some sort to hold shape,
> slice on inside of bend as required to bend to required radius.

Chuck - I'm familiar with closed cell foam, like this.  If you used 2"
it would approximate your tubes with clearance. The problem I see
would be in inserting a wire through a piece of this. I think it would
be very difficult at best. I think the best you could do would be to
slit the foam rod the length of it, insert your wire, and tape it back
up, similar to how you would slide pipe insulation over a pipe.

The way this resulting wire-reinforced rod would behave would then be
determined by the characteristics of the wire you inserted in it. I
don't think you'll have to slice the rod to bend it to the radius you
want, I think it'll bend by itself okay.

I think this is a great way to design true, equal-length headers.

> Anyone used any version of this? How stiff is it? Looks pretty
> flexible.
>

> http://www.foamexpress1.com/Closed_Cell_Foam.php
>
>    Standard Backer Rod
>    Closed Cell Polyethylene Foam Backer Rod

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
CORSA member since 1980