<VV> Resistor Question - Update

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Tue Nov 8 16:10:27 EST 2011

I hope you know that when you install the Pertronix you will not want
the resistance -- you want 12 volts, and likely a hotter coil.  A
Petronix II is better for both -- you'll get dwell adjustment.

It is simple to bypass the resistor wire ... many people run a new 12
volt wire (ugly and not needed), many butcher the harness (ugly and
not needed) -- just make a small jumper wire with blades on both
sides (small) and plug into the plug -- one blade on each side of the
resistor wire.  Done.  Almost invisible.  Removable for
concours.  Works perfectly.

Eric

At 09:34 AM 11/7/2011, you wrote:
>From: "Bill H." <gojoe283 at yahoo.com>
>Subject: <VV> Resistor Question - Update
>To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
>                                              B"H
>
>I would like to thank everyone who respnonded to my question on the
>resistor wire.
>
>Your answers and another look at the shop manual demonstrated that
>you were all correct and that my wiring is also good.
>
>With ignition on and engine off, I got around 8 volts to the +
>terminal on the coil, which is correct.
>
>Turned on the engine, got 16V to the coil (and the rest of the
>systems as well).  Soooooo...likely BAD voltage regulator.  Now was
>the time to swap in the almost-new upgraded alternator with built in
>voltage regulator.  Not a big problem, alternator now putting out
>around 14.5 volts to the system, 12V to the coil.  At least it's
>better.  I need to get the special bracket for the new alternator,
>left the old one on the old '69 and forgot to swap it.
>
>New coil installed, engine still running really rough.
>
>My next step is to check points gap and plugs.  I have a working
>Pertronix from my 69 which I'm planning on installing when I have time.

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )