<VV> Resistor Question - Update

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Nov 9 00:20:16 EST 2011

Hi Bill,
I know that I'm coming in here late but your and Mark's comments about
needing a full 12 volts concerns me. It is generally not necessary and often is
 excessive voltage depending on the coil you use. See below.
.
The correct connections for a Pertronix depends on several things. If you
are going to run an Ignitor I you first need to determine the coil you want
to  use. If it is one of Pertronix's Flame Thrower coils, you MUST determine
which  coil you got from them or a vendor. Pertronix's literature will
point you to a 3  ohm primary res coil for six cylinder use. But you really want
the 1.5 ohm  pri res coil for Corvairs and it is listed as an 8 cyl app. So
use a good  ohmeter and check the pri res.

If you are using the correct 1.5 ohm coil or a stock Corvair coil, then you
 WANT the ballast resistor to remain in the circuit. But if it's a 3 ohm
coil the  ballast restistor needs to be removed from the circuit. Then the
hookup would be  the black Pertronix wire connected to the coil's minus
terminal. The plus coil  terminal will have the the stock wire going to it and NOT
12 volts,  but the voltage from the ballast res. The red Pertronix coil then
can either be  connected to a switched +12 volt source or the + coil
terminal. So the only time  you really want the Pertronix connected to +12 volts
is for a 3 ohm coil or  possibly to the red wire.

Running the 1.5 ohm coil on 12 volts (without the ballast res) will
overheat it and possibly burn out the ignitor or at least shorten its life.
Besides it won't give you a stronger spark since the spark comes from the
saturated coil core that saturates on 6-8 volts.

For an Ignitor 2, you should use the 0.6 ohm coil and wire it up the same
as the Ignitor I with the ballast resistor per the Pertronix web  page.

Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 11/8/2011 6:19:37 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,