<VV> resistor wire jumper

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Wed Nov 9 14:08:37 EST 2011

Sorry.  At the firewall is the main plug.  It is from this plug that
the resistor wire runs up the harness (looking like it is going to
the coil) then does a 180 in the harness and goes back to the
plug.  The wire is a special wire that drops the voltage.  Each place
the resistor wire is attached to the plug is one of the squarish
holes for the wires to come out.  If you bridge those two places then
electricity -- acting like water -- will follow the path of least
resistance.  In other words it will not be bothered by the resistor
wire and will instead send 12 volts from the source to the resistor
wire over to the destination of the resistor wire, all in 12
volts.  It is a little tacky according to some people (not soldered
etc) but using a 2 inch wire with almost probe like small blades you
can force them into the back of the plug in those two place thereby
creating that bridge.  What I like about this method is that it can
be removed, returning you to stock, in 1 second.  I carry points just
in case the Pertronix dies.  If I need to swap the points back in I
simply remove the jumper and put the points plate in (I keep them
preset and gapped and ready to go) -- and you are running again
sending 6 volts to points as Chevy intended.  When you replace the
points again with a Pertronix you push the wire back in and you have
12 volts as Pertronix intended.  I did this once because I foolishly
put a Pertronix II coil on an old Pertronix 1 Ignitor and this is
fatal -- unfortunately not immediately (meaning conveniently in my
driveway) -- but later when on the road.  Bob H is correct, use the
right coil -- I keep it easy and use the Petronix 2 coil and
Ignitor.  Simple wiring.  No butchering, not stringing another wire
(looks bad), etc.  The potential downside I suppose is that in theory
the wire could eventually vibrate out -- never has happened to me --
but that can happen when you don't solder things.  I just like
keeping as close to stock as I can in appearance.  No good way to
hide the extra Ignitor wire to the coil though ... just bad ways :-)  E

At 06:01 AM 11/9/2011, Kerwin Nailor wrote:
>"It is simple to bypass the resistor wire ... many people run a new 12
>volt wire (ugly and not needed), many butcher the harness (ugly and
>not needed) -- just make a small jumper wire with blades on both
>sides (small) and plug into the plug -- one blade on each side of the
>resistor wire.  Done.  Almost invisible.  Removable for
>concours.  Works perfectly."
>
>I don't quite understand this. Could you add a little detail? Which
>connector? Which wires?
>TIA
>

>Kerwin Nailor
>kerwinnailor at verizon.net

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )