<VV> Towing with a Corvair

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Nov 10 01:23:18 EST 2011

At 07:07 PM 11/9/2011, George Jones wrote:
>As long as you believe that knowing how to tow includes knowing not to tow
>with a vehicle which is too small or inadequately equipped to do the job,
>then I'm fine with your point. Knowing how to tow when your equipment is
>inadequate can't prepare you for the guy who jumps on the brakes in front
>of you and you have to struggle to control a load which weighs as much or
>more than your tow vehicle.

I've towed with a Corvair.   In fact, I've towed THREE Lakewoods with
Corvairs.   Two were just across town, the third was nearly a
third-way across the state, pulled on a dolly with the '69 140hp
Monza.   Interestingly enough, one of the Corvairs ('67 95hp 500)
that did two of the Lakewood towings was in fact originally itself
towed home by the same '69 Monza.

This is what you do, field-expedience-wise, when you do in fact own a
more adequate tow vehicle (Dodge Ram PU) but it's loaned out to
somebody who kept it for 3 friggin' months.    >:-o    Before that,
it pulled home the 'Vair-kitcar tube-chassis from 110 miles north of here.

Drive slowly, keep twice the distance you usually keep from what's
ahead of you, brake carefully and EARLY, and watch all around
you.   Do these things and you can tow your own weight anywhere
without a problem, but you do need to be defensive and NOT in a
rush.   And stop often and CHECK EVERYTHING.

I've pulled other things with that '69 Monza and it did well.   Sure,
the truck does it better but the Monza gave a good account of itself
when it was necessary.   And, it got some thumbs-up displays from
people who spotted a Corvair stationwagon being towed by another
Corvair.   The crowning touch was pulling that Porsche with the
Monza.   That got a few laughs, I'm sure.

tony..   is very careful when need be