<VV> Towing with a Corvair ~ "unsafe at any (towing) speed"

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Thu Nov 10 14:43:30 EST 2011

I've towed Corvairs with other Corvairs with the seatbelt from the 'rescued'
Corvair as a 'tow-bar' !

My cousin Ellen had spun the car out (see pix) and hit the guard rail so
hard it broke the door hinges, which we didn't discover until it the door
fell off on the ride home!  (Now, THAT was fun, going back through traffic
to collect it!)

The cops saw us collecting the missing door and would not let us drive it
anymore (although it was registered and insured), they thought it was
"unsafe at any speed" ~ probably not the first to say that ?

Tie one half of the belt to the bumper of one car, and the other half to the
bumper of the other car, and ~snap~ them together for a 'quick release' when
you get home !

The bad news came when my brother, in the towed Corvair, decided to test the
strength of the buckle, and pulled the rear bumper into a nice "v-shaped"
wedge, but neither broke !

So, we hooked them together with the seat belt (after the cop was gone) and
towed it the rest of the way.

Where there is a will, there is a way, as long as there's no cop to
interject his "opinion" !

Charlie