<VV> Resistor Question - Update

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Thu Nov 10 17:53:42 EST 2011

Dear Bob,

I do not disagree with that statement ... but it
is incomplete.  If you do that, you must find an
alternate source of power for the Pertronix.  It
must have 12 volts.  This requires stringing
another wire.  I dislike the option.  My personal
opinion is that a Petronix II with Pertronix II
coil and the resistor jumped is the best
answer.  My experience from the early days on the
12 volts to the Petronix -- back when I used
stock coils -- it really does not work well.  I
would not advise it.  With old wiring you may get
8-9 volts there, or you may get 7.  Please also
note in the questions section that they state
pretty clearly it must be 12 volts -- meaning
their documentation is not as clear as it should
be.  I think the Q&A are more specific to cars with a resistor wire.

Like I said, I have read a lot of your posts and
respect your opinion.  I just believe strongly
that the best thing you can do to make a Corvair
run well -- especially when voltages are not
perfect, distributors not perfect, etc -- is
upgrade the entire ignition system with the P2
and 8mm wires and good plugs with a large gap.  I
have solved many a problem that way.

Respectfully,

Eric

At 03:54 PM 11/9/2011, BobHelt at aol.com wrote:

>Hi Eric,
>

>  I think maybe you misinterpreted what I said.
> I was trying to point out that you may or may
> not want the ballast resistor to remain in the
> circuit depending on the primary resistance of
> the coil you will be using. If you are using a
> 1.5 ohm coil then you will need to keep the
> ballast resistance in the circuit since
> applying +12 volts directly to the coil will
> hasten its demise as well as that of the
> Ignitor I. If you disagree with this statement,
> then you really need to go back and relearn
> some things. However if you have a 3 ohm coil,
> then the resistor should not be used.
>

>In addition, I already pointed out that the red
>wire will work OK if it is connected to a
>switched +12 volt source, but it will also work
>if it is connected to the + coil terminal as
>stated in Pertronix’s instructions step 13
>listed below. (and this is how the Corvair
>Underground recommends it be connected). Note
>that Pertronix says that the red wire should
>receive any voltage from 8 to 16 volts on their
>web pages copied below. So while ideally the red
>wire could receive +12 volts but it will work just fine on less.
>

>                                 Specifications
>
>·         Operating Voltage: 8-V to 16-V DC
>

>  ONLINE PERTRONIX INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
>
>12 VOLT NEGATIVE GROUND APPLICATIONS
>
>For 12-volt negative ground systems.
>
>Compatible with “points style” coils.
>
>Do not use “HEI” type coils.
>

>Read all instructions before attempting to install...
>

>1. Turn the ignition switch off or disconnect the battery.
>
>2. Remove the distributor cap and rotor. Do not disconnect the spark plug
>
>wires.
>
>3. Examine the cap and rotor for wear or damage. Replace as needed.
>
>4. Remove the points, condenser, and grommet.
>
>5. The Ignitor does not require any modification to the distributor. Therefore
>
>the points, condenser and hardware can be used as backup.
>
>6. Clean any oil or dirt from the breaker plate and point cam.
>
>7. Install the Ignitor plate onto the breaker
>plate, and fasten Ignitor plate in
>
>place.
>
>8. If the distributor ground wire was removed during the installation process,
>
>be sure to re-attach it securely.
>
>9. Install the magnet sleeve over distributor shaft and onto the point cam.
>
>Rotate sleeve until a slight locating position is felt before applying
>
>pressure. With sleeve lined up on point cam, press down firmly insuring
>
>the sleeve is fully seated.
>
>10. Insert both wires through the hole in the distributor housing. Pull the
>
>grommet into place. Make sure that the wires do not interfere with any
>
>moving parts.
>
>11. Replace the rotor and distributor cap. Make sure that all spark plug wires
>
>are attached securely.
>
>12. Connect the Ignitor black wire to the
>negative (-) side of the ignition coil.
>
>13. Connect the Ignitor red wire to the positive
>(+) side of the ignition coil.

> [...]

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )