<VV> Towing - NOT Corvair

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 19:28:52 EST 2011

Ray and others,

>Message: 3
>Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:49:52 -0500
>From: Ramon Rodriguez III <corvairgrymm at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: <VV> Towing with a Corvair
>To: Ken Pepke <kenpepke at juno.com>
>Cc: Vair Views <virtualvairs at corvair.org>

SNIP

>PS-  "pup" trailer normally refers to the 28 foot dry van trailers that >are commonly used for "doubles" and even "triples" in some places.  There >is actually a fifth wheel on each dolly, so there is a fifth wheel under >every trailer.  The dolly is basically a fifth wheel with an axle under >it, and a pintle hook type hitch to latch it to the rear of the trailer >it is following.

I think the point being made about "Pup" trailers was that of the pintle hook connecting the dolly to the forward trailer. While not quite the same as a bumper hitch (ball), it's still not as secure as a fifth-wheel.

>Slightly off topic, I'm sure most/all here are familiar with proper >braking technique when driving down a grade..... get on the brakes to >slow down, get off the brakes and let them cool off... repeat.  I found >it interesting that when driving a tractor-trailer down a long grade the >rule is actually to ride the brakes...  it is considered a bigger risk >with a truck to run out of air pressure from getting on and off them than >it is to overheat.them.  They also tell you to NEVER attempt to use the >trailer brake (handle on the dash) for anything but pre-trip brake >tests....  I used it to save my butt a couple of times (ice/snow >conditions).

I've had the same kind of experiences, on ice and snow and also with an overloaded dump trailer. But that's not to say overheated truck/trailer brakes aren't a common problem; they are. That's one of the reasons for the "runaway truck" ramps you see on most major highways with a long downgrade.

Byron Comp
'64 Monza Vert.
Gainesville, FL