<VV> Towing Stuff - My 2 cents

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Thu Nov 10 22:34:09 EST 2011

One thing I seem to do a lot of is tow stuff. I've tried
it all. Had my clamp-on tow bar since 1968 when I bought
it from a rental place in Red Oaks Mill, NY for $25. Yes,
I still use it now and again. I've tried tow dollies - but
they sure make a lot of noise when empty. Also, they only
really work well when moving a front drive vehicle. I
currently have a couple of enclosed trailers and one flat
bed tandem axle trailer. I like the open tandem trailer
the best. It is the safest mode in my mind since I have
electric brakes on both trailer axles and I can move just
about any condition of car that comes my way. Most of the
time the stuff I end up towing is in sad shape and really
should not have any of its own wheels and tires on the
ground on moving day.

My choice for a tow vehicle is a late model extended cab
1/2 ton pickup truck. Of course it is a Chevy. Hey! Aren't
we Chevy Corvair enthusiasts? It helps that I worked for
the General for 38 years right up until they decided
retirement was in my very near future...

The truck works fine. A 3/4 ton truck would be better but
the penalty in MPG isn't worth it to me since I also drive
the pickup as my daily transportation even when there
isn't a trailer attached. - Caveman Pete