<VV> towed vehicles

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Fri Nov 11 15:05:15 EST 2011

> Tim,
>
> I don't know about the "registered" part, but I do know that the insurance
> should not be an issue.  A "trailer" is covered automatically by the
> liability portion of the towing vehicle.
>
> Later, JR

And there's the rub.
If it is not registered, your insurance may not consider it a trailer.
A tow dolly, is supposed to be registered, then it is covered by the vehicle doing the towing.
A derelict car. Most likely is not registered. So your insurance has a clause where a vehicle is not covered during the comission of a crime. Towing an unregisted vehicle may well be a legit loophole.
>From what I understand, most states differ on towing regulations.
But for the most part.
Keep a low profile, and you may get lucky.

It is my understanding, that a strap or chain is illegal just about anywhere.
But many of us have done it.

Once bought a derelict 66 Corsa, with tele wheel.
Before I picked it up, the seller decided to do me a favor and drag it out from behind the barn.
By the tie rods no less.
Well, the tow bar kept coming loose as the tires were severely toed.
My brave wife steered it, while I used a strap.
Miraculously, the car actually did have brakes.
A mile from home, one of the tires blew.
They were decent when we left.
Now both fronts were bald, and hot!

Gary Swiatowy