<VV> Tow Vehicle / no Vair

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Fri Nov 11 17:09:06 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----

From: BBRT <chsadek at comcast.net>
Couldn't agree more. Chev 1T Dually crew cab long bed Duramax w/Allsion. The
only issue is turning radius. Takes a city block.  Sure will pull a loaded
24 ft box trailer well. Secret there is keeping it in its torque range, esp.
at bottom of long grades. Always leave more room than you think you need...
Chuck S
Although  I've had great experiences towing with a smaller vehicle  with proper equipment,
There is nothing like having   a Big rig with dual rear wheels, to tow with...  and one set up properly.
My Fav rig.....  have it down in Texas where it's used more often...
'90  Chev  3500  ext. cab.  454 gas engine  mated to a custom 700R4  with all billet parts, 5 planetary's
Hydraulic "lockup"  in 2nd gear...  never unlocks  except in 1st,  even at WOT..with the worlds largest
trans cooler mounted under the bed.   Using small 225/70/16's with 3.73  final drive.  2200 rpm @60mph
Lowered 5"  in front with custom arms and 7" in the rear with "C'd"  frame.  Originally towed a lowered 5th wheel Box.
We towed a 28 ft tongue pull ToyBox....close to 10,000 lb loaded  3 axles of brakes,  over 4,000 ft passes  and 100 miles of flat desert each way.
13 mpg on 87 octane....70-90 mph on the flats..  Being a gas engine... it pulls hard from idle!  with 4 gears I don't need 600ft lb of Torque...ggg
 And being 2wd...  not a bad turn radius..you can park in a normal parking spot at WalMart in one try
...Also super stable if you have a tire go away...even at highspeed... only happened once, luckily..
And with the airbags in the rear, with only 5 leafs....  rides like a Caddie unloaded  and gives 17-19 mpg
even when towing one Vair on a smaller open trailer!  pic attached
Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio
http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages