<VV> Towing unregistered Corvairs in California

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 12:38:08 EST 2011

In a message dated 11/11/2011 11:52:47 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
chaz at properproper.com writes:

To  shuffle my Corvair in an out of my single-lane driveway, even for just
moment, can incur a big $$$ fine, plus registration fees, from the time  the
vehicle was last registered, plus applicable late $$$  fees.

Charlie is technically correct. But it would never stand the test of  the
courts. If you are pushing the car into - or onto - a trailer in front of
your house, a cop is never going to cite you. It really is a matter of intent.
 If you are driving one without a license, expect to get caught. If you
non-op a  car for major rebuild or repair, without intent to defraud the DMV,
they really  shouldn't care. For instance, if you are working on a car that
hasn't passed a  smog test, you cannot get a license renewal for it, you must
non-op it. If you  now trailer it to get a smog test - drive it and you
might get caught -  trailering shows intent to comply. Loading it in front of
your house should not  be taken as an intent to defraud the DMV.

Speaking of Corvairs, though, as long as you keep insurance on the car, you
 can register it. I keep my Stinger insured so I can keep it registered, so
I can  flat-tow it.

Seth Emerson