<VV> another diff interchange question

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Nov 20 08:50:51 EST 2011

At 08:20 PM 11/19/2011, Mike McCrae wrote:
>I think the confusion is that you keep saying the pinion is the
>same...it's the pinion gear that's the same and not the shaft. The
>gear will have to be removed and repressed on the PG trans. shaft.

Yes indeed.

Ladies and gentlemen:

The GEAR is the same, manual OR automatic.  The shaft it is pressed
onto is NOT.  And YES the gear can be pressed off and then pressed
onto another shaft, no big deal.   Just make sure the collar in the
press is seated correctly or you can chip the edges of the teeth on
the pinion.   It MUST be flush with the back face of the pinion gear.

I watched a guy at a shop, who thought he knew everything, set the
press incorrectly and chipped the pinion gear... this after insisting
that the gear and shaft were one piece and wouldn't believe otherwise
until I showed him the gear I wanted to have pressed back onto the
shaft (changing gear ratios in a 4-speed).

I now have access to a high capacity press and don't have to go to
somebody else to get things like that done.

tony..