<VV> Snow tires

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Nov 20 22:52:27 EST 2011

At 17:38 11/20/2011 -0500, Clark Hartzel wrote in response to:
>Message: 8
>Timothy Shortle in (times a flying by) Durango Colorado 81301
>PS Ray- My Rampside (non posi PG) seems to do quite well in the snow with 4
>studded snow tires.
>
>Tim, do you have 4 wheel drive in that Rampside?  If not, snow tires on the
>front aren't going to help (except steering or stopping).

Clark!!  I am surprised by your comment. You, of all people, have actually
lived here in the Upper Peninsula and should know that stopping and turning
is just as important as being able to accelerate.

I, for one, will either install snow tires on all four wheels of a winter
car or adapt my driving to do without. If someone cannot afford snow tires
for all four wheels they should consider having their current tires siped;
as it helps a lot on loose or packed snow and ice. Unfortunately very few
tires work well in the heavy slush that remains from the chemical [salt]
approach to snow removal so often favored nowadays.

Corvair content: The best all-season/winter tire I ever had for the Corvair
was a set of Pirelli P-77's in 205/70R13 size.  Boy, how I wish these were
still available.

Current winter vehicles / tires:  -->all are 4WD or AWD w/ 6-speed manual
transmissions
2001 Dodge/Cummins 1-ton SRW plow truck / 315/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ATR
[custom siped]
2004 Jeep Liberty / 225/70R16 Goodyear Fortera TripleTred (Only a fair
winter tire. This vehicle will soon to get a winter-only set of Hakkapeliittas)
2003 Audi TT Turbo Quattro (wife's car) / 205/55R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI