<VV> Oil Pan Gaskets

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Nov 21 19:22:39 EST 2011

Smitty Says;  In reference to "My permatex 2 is better than your RTV' and
"my cork is better than your neoprene", my answer is the same as that of one
of our gurus years ago.  (Improper use of a product does not constitute
failure of the product).  You have to understand the properties of the
gasket, the sealer, and the malability of the oil pan.  We had a club member
years ago that was determined his oil pan gasket would not leak.  He put the
bolts in with a 1/2 drive pneumatic wrench.  Twisted a couple off but
fortunately they were long enough he could screw them out from on top.
Everyone said "Oh my gosh, it will leak like a sieve".  But it didn't.
Something like the Lord suffering fools I guess.  Anyway, a flat gasket
flange is imperative in all cases.  I'm not claiming to have all the
answers, but I put my rubber gaskets on with RTV  on both sides.  I screw
the bolts in finger tight.  The next day I tighten them with a gentle wrist
twist using a screwdriver type nut runner.  then add the oil.  Do they leak?
I have had leaks but they are not common.  If I get one, I pull the bolt and
fill the cavity with RTV.  Then I put a finger on top and the thumb on the
bottom and compress what is in the bolt hole.  Then stick the bolt back in.
Seldom ever have a leak after that.  There are those in my club that use a
coating of grease on a gasket.  They say it works for them.  I'll not argue
with that.  Again, the one thing that is common to success is a flat pan
gasket surface.  You would think that a cast pan and silicone gasket would
be fool proof.  I have seen some where the fools tightened them so far the
gasket squirted out like tooth paste.  Improper use of a product.  I am
surprised that we ever get a totally dry pan gasket.  Nobody else has 2
inches of oil standing above the level of their pan gasket.