<VV> Oil Pan Gaskets

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 00:57:16 EST 2011

In a message dated 11/21/2011 9:42:55 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
tony.underwood at cox.net writes:

Give me  cork.  And a 7/16 nutdriver.

Well, that and my dolly and  small-face rectangular body hammer to
straighten the oil pan flange.   Did anybody just read that?  It's
been said  often...

STRAIGHTEN THE DAMNED PAN FLANGE.   DO  IT.

Don't bitch if it leaks and you didn't do the pan first  thing.   You
ought to have already known that every nimrod  before you likely
cinched down on the oil pan bolts with an impact wrench  trying to
cure leaks that got worse instead of better until the pan flange
looks like a stretch of WV back road.

This is why I have gone to aluminum pans. I now run Otto pans and  baffle
spacers on my race motors (only a couple). I attach them clean and  dry with
the thinner Clarks gasket between the two and between the baffle spacer  and
the block. Fully clean and wiped to aluminum- lacquer thinner or
Gumout/Chemtool on a rag on the surfaces with the correct bolts and  reasonable
torque, no leaks. On a street pan, flatening out the surface and  sealing one
side of the composite cork/nitrile pan gasket - I use Lons - to  the pan then a
reasonable torque and a follow up. It just works.
Seth Emerson