<VV> Unbalanced wheel ?...no !

Harry Yarnell hyarnell1 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 22 16:29:09 EST 2011

Excellent troubleshooting skills...

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Monasterio
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:24 PM
To: CORVANATICS; VirtualVairs
Subject: <VV> Unbalanced wheel ?...no !

As a part of the restoration of the Bluebrier, got new tires and got them
balanced but, on the trip to Denver's convention, noticed vibration on the
right rear wheel just over 60mph so, kept the speed at no more than 60mph
all the time which was (I think) good for the engine (still breaking it) and
for safety.
As I am planning a trip, next weekend, I went to the tire shop to check that
wheel balance but, the machine said it was ok so, as there are not any more
old fashioned tools for wheels balancing (the kind where tires are checked
on the vehicle), came back to the cave to start working on the problem.
1st, jacked up the offending tire, removed it and installed the front right
tire which I knew is well balanced.2nd, started engine, put in drive and
accelerated..... same vibration so, the wheel & tire assembly was not
guilty.3rd, removed tire, put nuts to hold the brake drum and repeat
testing..... same vibration.4th, removed drum, repeated testing procedure
and... no vibration.5th, inspected drum and, it is not GM but Century brand
without any weight welded as always seen on GM drums.6th, got a used GM drum
and tested with tire in place and... eureka !!, no more vibration.
This the first time in 43 years dealing with Corvairs that I found this kind
of problem.
By now, the Bluebrier is better tuned and ready for traveling again.
Saludos
Daniel Monasterio

the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org