<VV> Greasing rear bearings on 1965-69

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sun Nov 27 16:04:58 EST 2011

 Clark, some of us are resourceful! If I am going to the effort of taking the rear hubs apart, I am not going to save the bearings. Removing the yoke is fairly straightforward. I have a plate with 9 holes in it, 4 for the U joint bolts, 4 for the carrier holes and one in the middle where I use a 1/2-13 bolt with a nut under the plate, and voila! The yoke is free. Then I insert long bolts through the carrier and use the same plate to remove the hub. Then I cut the bearing off the shaft, drive out the cups, and replace with all new parts and synthetic grease, and never worry about these again.
Yes, it takes some muscle, but it can be done without a press. Of course, if you have one, all the better. But it doesn't take that kind of tonnage to take these apart and reassemble, although a 25+ ton press would allow changing crank gears.

Now, I agree, a rebuilt hub is probably the simplest solution.

John Roberts