<VV> Greasing rear bearings on 1965-69 - tidbits

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sun Nov 27 22:46:44 EST 2011

Speaking to item #2  - Typically we hear of two UltraVan rear hub
failures per year.  Something about 3,500 lbs on the rear wheels.  Since
failure is so common, several tried to make the yokes and bearing "slip
fit" to facilitate field repairs.  I have never known of a hub that was
slip fitted to make it 500 miles after the modification before inner
bearing failure..  UVMCC  Tech Tips recommend leaving the press fit
stock and setting the bearing clearances between 0.0005" and 0.001".  I
have the original hubs in #388 and the odometer is showing just over
154,000 miles.   I do pull the hubs every 25,000 miles and clean and
repack the bearings.  It may seem like overkill but working in a clean
heated shop is prefered to the parking lot at Mom's Diner (now Bill's
Grill) in Sidnaw, MI.
Jim Davis