<VV> Electric costs for electric cars?

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 30 01:27:25 EST 2011

Hey Frank,

I forgot all that electric stuff long ago, but I did not forget that 1800
watts/4800 watts = .375

I also know that 8 hours X .375 = 3 hours.  Please let me know if I missed
something on that calc.

I don't know about the rest of the calcs that were in there, but it seems to
me that if 8 hours for 110/120 volts is correct then 3 hours for 220/240
volts would also be correct.  Using (your) .48/hr cost for the "overnight"
charge on 220, the total would be less than a buck and a half for as well.
3 X .48 = $1.44

Did I forget to take another factor into consideration?  I'm not trying to
be a smart axx, I'm trying to understand why it would not be cheaper (at
least quicker) to use 220 VS 110 to charge up.  The 220 would also give room
for extra charge time - if needed.

Really, I'm still trying to justify (convince myself that I was right) about
the cost of running 220 to my detached garage in order to heat it (when I'm
in it) during winter months.

Later, JR