<VV> rusted tie rod sleeves

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Oct 4 10:27:27 EDT 2011

On Oct 3, 2011, at 10:29 PM, Tony Underwood wrote:

> Now, for that tie rod sleeve, it's either expanding the sleeve or
> lots of heat... either way, it's certainly a candidate for antiseize
> after the fact, once it IS a fact that you got the stuff loose.

To follow up, I ordered a set of the tie rod tools here:

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Pitman-Adjusting-Tool/dp/B000IOFVUM/ref=pd_sim_auto1

I only needed the 7/8" tool, however the set with shipping was only $25, versus $47 from Snap-On.  The big advantage of this tool is since it's on a ratchet, I could orient the handle to give me a much more convenient angle to push/pull.  That combined with a couple days of penetrant soaking got it started, then I put anti seize on there which made it turn easy.  This particular car is from the west coast, so the parts weren't rusty by east coast standards and I'm not worried about anything failing.

I still need to finish the rear, I'm glad I checked since it's considerably out of alignment.

--Bryan