<VV> Barn finds

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Oct 11 12:23:24 EDT 2011

Back in the late 80's when I belonged to New Orleans Corvair
Enthusiasts, I took a trip to the outskirts of Mobile, AL (about 3
hours) with my friend Tony Miceli to look at a car advertised as a 62
Spyder, garage kept, Classic.  We took Tony's S-10 and trailer and got
to the house.

Car was not "Garage Kept".  It was in a carport, not even an enclosed
carport.

Pulling up the carpet and shining a light from underneath revealed the
floorboards were "Lace"----just rust with holes that made it look like
Baby Swiss Cheese.   The rear window surround had rusted out and the
glass had fallen into the back seat.  The engine was not a Turbo or 140,
it was a 95 HP, and it was frozen solid.

And the guy had the gall to ask 2500.00 for this piece of junk!

Tony was too upset to talk to the guy.  I asked him if he'd lost his
mind.

  He says: "It's a CLASSIC!".  I told him---it's a Classic piece of
scrap metal, if you give us 200.00, we'll tow it away for you.  After
thanking him for wasting our gas and a whole Saturday, we left.

I had only been working on Corvairs for about a year at the time.
Learned a valuable lesson.

Buying cars on eBay is something I fear.  Haven't heard many happy
endings.

One of the mechanics at the Chevy dealer I worked at bought a Geo Prism
for his daughter on eBay.  Got it to NC from FL, all I can say is---good
thing he was VERY experienced at repairing a Geo, and we still had the
parts available which he got for dealer cost plus 10%.

I don't think I'd list any car I was selling on eBay.