<VV> Lower shroud differences

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Wed Oct 12 08:37:00 EDT 2011

"...Why is there a difference between a EM and LM lower shrouds? The LM
lower shroud has the thermostat more centrally located whereas the EM has the
thermostat placed further to the rear of the shroud (front of the car).
Does it  make a difference ..."

Hello Charlie: the late model positioning is superior to the early
design... 1) primarily, the more centrally-located bellows results in faster
response to temperature changes, and 2) the shorter (late design) rod, from  a
reduced vibration stand point, is easier on the bellows. In this  case, the
egghead engineers got it right. Prior to changing to the late shrouds  on my
64 Greenbrier, the right side air door was real slow to open; while the
basic Corvair cooling system design leans towards the right side opening more
slowly than the left, in practice, with my van, using the late design
shrouds resulted in both sides opening at near the same time.

Mike Mauro
64 van for sale on Ebay. item #  320771208896