<VV> Adjusting clacky valves

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Sat Oct 15 21:15:23 EDT 2011

Adjusting valves running is sadistic, and maybe masochistic ?

That's my one of my favorite "mechanic" stories !

I paid a nearby Chevy dealer $9.95 to adjust the clacky valves on my
Lakewood, on my way to work one very cold, snowy, November day in New York
because I did not want to lay on my back in my garage.

When I picked the car up after work (the shop was closing), the car made
more noise than when I brought it in.
The service manager said (those famous words), "It'll be quiet when it warms
up" and I believed him !

It was about 5 degrees, the sun was already down, and 2 miles later, on the
aptly named SOB (South Oyster Bay Expressway), the car would not run any
more.

I ended up adjusting my valves in the snow on the side of an icy 65 MPH
expressway, setting all valves to "zero" and to then adjusting them HOT!

(Did you ever try cleaning hot oil off your hands with snow at 5 degrees, in
the dark?)

The car ran perfectly all the way home (another 45 miles, on the "Big LIE" ~
Long Island Expressway) !

I complained the next day and he said, "Why ? It sounds great" ?!?!?

I love paying professionals ~ it saves me SO-O-O much time and effort !

Charlie, The Grim Griper