<VV> Trans and differential gear lube

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Oct 19 11:58:17 EDT 2011

Modern oil? With or without the starburst?

On manual transmission Corvairs I have usually just added as needed, as
long as it looked OK. Yes, I am not a chemist and don't know if any
additives have dissapeared during slumber. Of course for years we just
added GL-5 because that was all we had on the store shelves. Now I would
take Richard's advise and seek out a more proper oil, especially for drain
and refill. What's odd is that I have read for years that Hypoid lube was
bad for brass, but that's all that people added to manuals (excepting those
ATF filled units) even on regular rear drive, where one could easily use a
non hypoid lube for the application as no lubes were shared by the two
units. Now with Richards advise I can seek out the proper lube for axles.

On PG units I try to drain the axle lube and check for ATF leakage into the
unit. I had a 64 PG sedan I drove for years and added a drain plug to
remove the ATF mix that happened due to a failed seal. Even after the car
was totaled, the drivetrain lived in a van for several years. Just kept
drainng the ATF mix and adding fresh 90 weight hypoind lube as needed!

Frank DuVal