<VV> LM turbos and no lower shrouds

Carlton Smith carlton55 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 23 07:02:22 EDT 2011

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your opinion. I am seeking those with experience and you have
shared yours.

I have owned my particular 1965 turbo Corsa since 2007. The previous owner
had rebuilt the engine in 2000. It was totally stock with the exception of a
Clark's 260 cam. On the highway in the Midwest if I went over 65MPH for any
length of time  on a 75-80 degree day the head temp would reach 425-450
degrees (the gage is accurate as I have a infrared temp gun). The engine
always had a couple of (loud) clacky valves that were lifter/cam oriented. I
decided to have the engine rebuilt last winter by a professional Corvair
mechanic. The engine was totally rebuilt stock, head veins cleared as much
as possible, correct valve geometry restored, etc. We discovered the bad
Clarks cam grind on 2 lobes is what was causing the 2 clacky valves and
replaced it with an Isky cam of the same 260 spec. (I checked with others
and found they also had problems (on occasion) with this particular Clarks
cam). Anyway I now have normal quiet engine now. However, with the shrouds
on I still would go to 425-450 degrees on long distance highway traveling.
So I decided to try the shrouds off option and it usually travels at 300-325
degrees and on a hot day might go to 350. I am told by may turbo owners and
the folks at Clarks that the shrouds on temperatures are absolutely normal
for a turbo. Also that those temperatures will eventually shorten the life
of the engine as compared to a standard engine. I drive the car every day in
the summer and garage it in the winter. I drive it as long as I can every
year so that does involve fall and spring days in the upper 30s and 40s. I
can still get heat in the cab from the upper shroud hose so that is ok with
me. However, I don't like having the bottom of the engine exposed all of the
time to possible road debris (rocks, etc.). I am a little worried about the
start up/warm up factor although it seems it warms up fairly quickly. So you
can see I am already at the point of making a possible mod decision. I am
interested to know what John Roberts is suggesting.

 Thanks for your input Eric!

 Regards,
 Carlton Smith