<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 81, Issue 62

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sun Oct 23 23:11:12 EDT 2011

>     I read that the carb and muffler being restrictive is what was
> actually
> used to limit the boost and that replacing either or both with better
> flowing unis will increase boost.  So does going to a higher flow muffler
> on
> a stock turbo car increase or decrease boost?  (assume no other mods).
> Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Smitty Says;    You are right Ray.  The carb and muffler in a stock turbo
Corvair setup are both restrictive.  A big carb is always an asset for turbo
performance.  Anybody that thinks a restrictive muffler aids Turbo
performance simply does not understand how a turbo works.  The Ideal is to
get as much pressure drop across the turbine wheel as possible and that is
accomplished by a NON restrictive muffler.  My NSHO is that they did not
recognize the absolute durability of the turbo engine they had built and
they did not want thousands of warrenty claims laid at their doorstep.