<VV> A couple of Questions...

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Oct 24 20:30:17 EDT 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 7:22 PM, Gary Berry wrote:

> I found a Corvair Van in a wrecking yard. I checked it out and it has
> the 5-lug suspension on it. What will I need off of it so I can
> convert my current 4-lug to the 5-lug both front and rear?

Nothing from the front end swaps.  You can use the rear axles on a car to get the 5 lugs and larger bearings, at the expense of either flaring the fenders or getting custom wheels.  For the front, an LM suspension will bolt on, with the same wheel/fender caveat.

Personally, I would never change an early from the 4 lug pattern, since it's easier to get 4 lug wheels that fit.

> http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/fulsgld/Buggys/ManxVairToo/ForwardControl003jpg.jpg
> http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/fulsgld/Buggys/ManxVairToo/ForwardControl002jpg.jpg
> http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/fulsgld/Buggys/ManxVairToo/ForwardControl001jpg.jpg
>
> I also need a steering box. Is the steering box out of the Lakewood
> station wagon the same as for the coupe?

The boxes are dimensionally the same, but the early aluminum boxes are weaker than the cast iron ones.

--Bryan