<VV> Overheating WAS LM turbos and no lower shrouds

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Oct 25 07:49:05 EDT 2011

The following comments pretty much follow my life experience ... with a whole bunch of Corvairs from nearly new to highly experienced.  The only one that ever gave the slightest hint of overheating was a '63 that I bought in Southern California and had to drive up out of Death Valley on my way home to Michigan.  Of course, it did not have a complete set of engine compartment gaskets.  The factory tested Corvair engines beyond anything anybody could imagine ... partially because of the three cylinders per side design.  It is true compromises were made between cooling the engine and having to provide heat for the passenger compartment.  None-the-less, back in the day when new out of the box, while not unheard of, overheating was not much of an issue.

Still, overheating problems are a way of life with many, if not most, Corvairs today.  I have seen no definitive studies on the cause of todays overheating problem.  However, re-engineering by John Q Public has become a popular, yet frequently less than successful, answer.  Oil and gasoline of today share few of their properties with their counterparts of yesterday.  Oil temperature is not often mentioned as a problem today.  Perhaps there is an incompatibility issue with the new fuels and the old combustion chamber design.  Sadly, Corvair gained the reputation of a 'poor boy' car otherwise the aftermarket parts industry would have put tens of thousands of dynamometer hours on the redevelopment of the Corvair engine like they did on other models.  Air is the other main ingredient in combustion so perhaps 'global warming' is responsible ... in one way or another :-)

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.