<VV> Overcooling (was: LM turbos and no lower shrouds)

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Tue Oct 25 16:05:23 EDT 2011

I use stock instruments which are not as accurate as one would like,
or consistent between cars.  Change the thermister on a Spyder ...
and it'll run 50 degrees hotter or cooler.  So I generally go for "is
this car acting normal."  Having said that, I have often used a
really cool instrument that is fairly exact -- it is like a pistol
and you aim it at things and it gives you the temps.  The oil filter
is much different than the oil pan.  Enough so that my A/C car which
was really off, I installed an aluminum pan (better).  The person who
taught me that trick (and owns the gauge) is an old Corvair mechanic
in the Verde Valley.  After rebuilding my sedan he used that all over
the place until he was happy.  To some degree consistency was more
important than the actual numbers.  And, of course, there probably is
a difference between oil temps at the idiot light versus the pan and
oil filter (those two are wildly different at times), on the cooler, etc.  E

At 11:36 AM 10/25/2011, you wrote:
>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:33:02 -0400 (EDT)
>From: jvhroberts at aol.com
>Subject: Re: <VV> Overcooling (was: LM turbos and no lower shrouds)
>To: Vairtec at optonline.net, virtualvairs at corvair.org
>

>  Define operating temperature, and how did you measure it?
>
>This is where I get the most grief, trying to get accurate data!
>When I was debugging the cooling on my Mazda 13B powered boat, I got
>all kinds of 'advise' from others who tried, like, they couldn't get
>an oil cooler that worked very well, etc.. Adding a decent
>instrument helps a lot. I bought a Fluke two channel digital
>thermometer and a pair of Type K thermocouples, and that answered a
>LOT of questions. Meaning, often, factory gages aren't worth SQUAT!
>Turned out my oil cooler setup worked fine, and a couple of guys who
>duplicated said it never worked right AT ALL, until I lent them this
>thing, and gee, it's amazing what you learn when you measure stuff accurately!
>
>So, I ask, how do you know it was overcooled?
>

>John Roberts

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )