<VV> undercoat removal tips?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Oct 28 00:52:41 EDT 2011

_patiomatt at aol.com_ (mailto:patiomatt at aol.com)  writes:Heat gun!  Scrape
it! Peels right off

Howdy  all,

As I mentioned earlier tonight I'm working on  cleaning up and painting
the underside of the 62.  The wheel housings,  suspension, and inside the
quarter panels all have a pretty thick old coat  of undercoating on them...
is there any good way to get it off?  The  only way I know is with wire
wheels and a drill but I'm hoping there is a  better way.

Thanks, Ray

Heat or cold usually works. Heat is easier to apply, but can cause
"Gooey-ness", softening that can cause it to adhere. Icy cold can create
brittleness making removal easier, less adherence to the parent surface. There  might
be a chemical dissolver as well. I would try the heat gun first. Be
careful.  -Seth Emerson