<VV> Mustang - Corvair

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Oct 29 18:51:27 EDT 2011

In a message dated 10/29/2011 2:03:32 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tony.underwood at cox.net writes:

Don'cha  kinda wish somebody would do this with Corvairs?

_http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ford-reintroduces-the-1965-mustang.html_
(http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ford-reintroduces-the-1965-mustang.html)

Several other cars have reached the same status. 57 Chevy, 69 Camaro,
other year Mustangs. Since I like to dampen things, I look at this
realistically. All of those cars have reached the dollar value - for good  condition
used/restored originals - that make building a car from scratch a  possible
economic "push". This depends on how far you go on using repro items.  You
could spend more.

I just saw a very, very nice stock 64 Spyder Convertible sell  for about
$16,000. It needed nothing (except, perhaps some good ignition  wires!) That
Mustang body was priced at around $15,000. Maybe the Corvair  would be a
little bit less, say $13,000? SO how much more would you have to  invest -
ignoring ANY labor cost, to build a complete 64 Spyder  Convertible. Could you do
it for another $13,000? -  Have you seen any  Corvairs (Ignoring the Yenko
phenomenon) that would reach nearly $30,000? There  is no demand for a
$30,000 stock Corvair, unless it had some related celebrity  status.

Now if you built a 64 Spyder Convertible look-a-like that accepted the
Chevy Cruze
power pack in the rear and got 35 MPG, you might get some interest.

Or you could pick up that Mustang Convertible kit, and use a complete
Corvair powertrain in the back. Now That would be a car to take to the Mustang
shows!

Bring a bullet proof vest!

Seth Emerson