<VV> POWERSLIDES ~ is "Comfort level" why we drive Corvairs ?

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sun Oct 30 12:29:06 EDT 2011

I, for one, have only owned cars with manual transmissions. The only times I have regretted that are off roading and towing. Fortunately, I do both of those rarely enough that I am unwilling to suffer an automatic the rest of the time.

However, I am getting older, and Delaware is getting more congested, and my 300ZXTT with its 3900 lb.-f pressure plate can be a bit much inching along.

I am also aware that automatics have come one heck of a long way from the days of Slip And Slide With Powerglide! Whereas manual trannies pretty much just picked up a gear or two.

That being said, over the years I have toyed with the idea of adapting a modern auto to a Corvair. I even went so far as to get a free Miata 4 speed auto to see if it could be done. In theory, yes. Make a new mainshaft, turbine shaft, etc., and you could run the power in from the other end the way a Corvair 'glide does it. Heck, a Ford C4 is even more adaptable! Don't hate me for using the F word, it's simply that their tranny could be used here.

Then I looked at transaxles that could do this. Obviously cars like the Delorean have a three speed auto, but not enough extra gears to make it worthwhile. Subaru trannies could be used, since is an outfit that makes reverse ring and pinions for those, and Subarus are up to 5 speeds now. Also, the dreaded P word cars have autos as well, some with paddle shifters. And lock up converters! Or you could just use the whole driveline, engine and all.

It would seem one of these would be far more practical and doable. Sure, you have to reverse the engine, but that's tried and true. Food for thought... And please, don't beat me up for not being a purist. There are far too many modified Corvairs out there to get away with it!

John Roberts