<VV> coil voltage/resistor

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 31 23:01:17 EDT 2011

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:01:47 -0400
> From: Ramon Rodriguez III <corvairgrymm at gmail.com>
> Subject: <VV> coil voltage/resistor
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> Hello all,
>
>      I'm still struggling with the 63 and I've got a question for you.  I'm
> suspicious that the coil has been overheating so I checked voltage at the
> coil with the engine running.  (Because I haven't got things right yet it's
> idling at around 1000-11000 rpm).
> I found that the voltage at the coil was in the 13's.  I went and dug out a
> ballast resistor that the FLAPS sold me a long time ago when I bought a
> coil for a Corvair and installed it in the wire just before it connects to
> the coil.... I think I've got a wiring issue here but we'll talk about that
> later.  With the ballast resistor in line before the coil I'm still getting
> around 12v flat at the coil while the engine is running at 1000-1100 rpm.
> I checked voltage drop accross the ballast resistor and it read 1.3.  Is
> this acceptable voltage?  I really thought it was supposed to be around 9
> or 10?
>
>      Now back to the less critical (at the moment) issue of the wiring,
> there is only one wire going onto the + side of the coil, aren't there
> supposed to be two?  Possibly my confusion is because I'm used to Corvairs
> with a tach...  I'm thinking about the 12v to the coil you are supposed to
> get when cranking... coming from the start solenoid to the coil.. I guess
> maybe the wire with the resistor merges with this other line before the
> final wire to the coil?  Also where is the resistor supposed to be in an
> early (63)?  Is it a resistor wire like the lates I'm more familiar with?
>
> Thanks all, off to eat dinner then probably run to the FLAPS for a new
> coil.  Want to make sure I've got the wiring right before I put on the new
> coil and risk damaging it.
>

> Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez
> Lake Ariel, PA

   Ray- My early 63 turbo had a external ballast resistor on it- the ballast resistor is (was- now running a distributorless ignition) located on the rear frame rail. If yours no longer has that resistor in place,but was supposed to, there should be a bolt hole in the frame rail where it was mounted. As I recall,when I tested the voltage on my car while it was running, it was 10 volts or a little less. The externalframe rail mounted resistor was a Spyder only set-up. Kevin Nash