<VV> Detroit, VV'ers, and home safe

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:38:12 EDT 2011

Hello all,

     I'm very sorry for the delay in my "home safe" message.  Thanks to
"Irene" our power went out within ten minutes of getting home from detroit
and stayed out for nearly two days.  Our internet/cable/telephone service
didn't come back online until about 10 minutes ago (it was out for over 4
days) which caused further delay.  We suffered no significant damage from
the hurricane (we are a couple hours inland).  One tree did fall across our
driveway but it did not damage anything, others in our area are still
without power but they expect it back on by sometime tomorrow (Friday).

     Now on a lighter note, it was a great pleasure to meet some of you in
Detroit.  I had a ton of fun chatting with JR Read, Jay Pitchford, and
Timothy Shortle as well as others, and it was great to finally meet them in
person.  I'm pretty certain (JR can vouch for it) that I earned the title of
"worst navigator" in the very simple road rally event.  I had JR off course
within the first three minutes and we never did get ourselves straightened
out....  no surprise that the trouble came from an assumption on my part
that turned out to be incorrect.  On the bright side I enjoyed a very nice
ride in JR's late model convertible (my first ride in a Corvair
convertible).  My favorite thing about the experience (besides lots of fun
and laughter!) was hearing the 140 behind me so clearly as we left stop
signs and traffic lights.  I also got to meet Ken Hand and his son, but I
didn't know who I'd been speaking to until the next day!

     The "DACC Homecoming" event was just as good this year as last, and
I've resolved to do my best to make it up there every year from now on.
Another high point of my trip was a conversation with the owner of a very
cool "blow through" turbo late model car.  After some time discussing the
setup he used the phrase "startlingly fast" which rang a bell in my head...
I asked his name and was delighted to learn that I was speaking with David
Binnie, the very same gentleman I had read about quite some time ago on the
corvaircorsa.com website blow through turbo section.  I had the pleasure of
getting a ride in that beautiful black Corsa coupe and I can tell you from
personal experience now, that blow through setup is a BLAST!  It was
definitely the fastest Corvair I've ever been in by quite a margin.  I think
I'm going to have to do some experiments and see what I can do on the cheap
with my own turbo project car.

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez
Lake Ariel, PA