<VV> blue on blue

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 21:54:55 EDT 2011

Ok, a little more on the blue exterior/interior questions.

I had a 66' 500 coupe that was a very light blue (Mis Blue I'm near certain)
with a blue interior, but before that my first Corvair was a 66' Monza
coupe.

So looking around for more pictures and such I just learned a couple of
interesting things (it's amazing how much there is to learn about these
cars!).  These relate mostly to my blue 66' 500 coupe.  In 66 you could not
get a blue interior (Bright Met. Blue) in a "Mist blue" monza, but in a
"Mist Blue" 500 you COULD get a "Blue" interior which is apparently what my
car had.  The car was very original albeit rough, with slightly tattered
original 500 upholstery still inside.  I'm not certain the door panels were
original as they were a bit darker blue than the seats, and they also had an
"aqua" (i.e. greenish blue) center section horizontally... they didn't look
right to me.  Take a look at the pics for a glimpse of the interior of that
car (with me driving).

I just did a lot of digging to come up with a picture that told me for sure
whether that first Monza of mine was a 65' or a 66'.. and it was a 66' (nose
"Corvair" script).  Based on the above info this means that the car
(assuming reasonably original) HAD to have been Marina Blue with the Bright
Met. Blue interior, but I'd swear it was lighter in color both inside and
out than most other Marina Blue cars I've seen.  Compare my pics to those
Brent Fullard just posted for my benefit... what do you think?

Brent, if you look at the pictures of my Monza, do you think it's just a
difference in camera's and lighting, or do you think mine looks like a
different color than yours?  I know you said the pics were from before you
owned the car, did you ever see the car in it's original color combo?  Could
this be a variance from one factory to another?  Just FYI on my screen at
least the interior pic of my Monza looks very true to my memory of the
actual color of the car.

Thanks!

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez
Lake Ariel, PA