<VV> IDing Oil Leak

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 10 00:21:52 EDT 2011

Are you seeing oil only on the filter?  If so - then:

First - my LM manual says 15 to 20 ft. lbs of torque.

Second - DP alluded to it - if the outer seal is a U shaped gasket, replace
that filter with one that has the square cut (both inner and outer) gasket
with no portion extending over the outside edge of the filter body.  Without
going into detail, there are at least two known possible problems with the U
gasket ones.

Third - DP also alluded to this but did not mention a specific.  There have
been problems noted with a certain white filter which has an outline of the
USA on the logo (Taiwan made).  The top metal portion has been known (in
several reported instances) to separate from the canister portion - causing
leaks - and sometimes sticking in the bottom of the filter housing at oil
change time.  Overtightening will make this problem worse instead of better.

Fourth - a good replacement filter is Purolator part # L20014 in the
"Classic" package (USA made) - and provided that you check before purchase
for the "square cut" AKA - no U gasket in the package.  Why?  They did not
change the part # when they changed (recently) from the U gasket to the
square cut (Like ACDelco - PF4) filter.

I have no financial interest in Purolator Filter Co.

Later, JR
CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140