<VV> You know you are old when... (no Corvair!)

chuck mckinley cmckinley313 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 19 10:47:56 EDT 2011

>From 1945-1951 my family lived in a tiny town in NW Illinois where the
telephone system used phones that didn't have dials - you picked up the
earpiece and listened for the ONE operator in town to ask "Number,
please", and gave her the number verbally. My dad's office number was
31. There were some 3-digit numbers in town - a guy down the alley from
our house had the number 313 that we sometimes got when we said "three
one, please" and the operator (who was a little old lady, slightly hard
of hearing) thought she heard "three one three".

We also had our ice delivered on a horse-cart driven by a very athletic
young guy who could carry two big ice blocks at a time using a big
nasty-looking ice-pincher in each hand.

Chuck McKinley
63 Monza 900 80hp 3sp manual