<VV> early suspension changes question

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Sep 19 00:10:17 EDT 2011

In a message dated 9/18/2011 7:51:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
corvairgrymm at gmail.com writes:

Thanks  Doug and others, this pretty much wraps up the topic, I am now
adequately  informed.  I hadn't made it that far into my very recently
aquired  copy of "Corvair Decade"... I'm reading it cover to cover, and
making sure  every word sinks in.

Ray R

Ray - A few other notes. GM had designed the Corvair for use with a front
anti-roll bar. It was deleted at initial production, to the detriment of the
 handling of the early cars.(and the dismay of the engineers.) The HD
suspension option added it back in, with other various spring changes and shock
absorber calibrations. All 62-63 had a small front bar, the 64 a stiffer
one and  the 65-69 an even stiffer one. Without any limit straps, the full
extension of  the rear shock is what limits the droop of the suspension. This
is true on all  Corvairs, less important on lates. That is just one more
reason that proper  shock absorber on the rear is important, especially on an
early where camber  change is massive. If a shock just bolts on, that is not
sufficient. It must  have the proper extended length. Personally, I feel that
is the big LIE in  Nader's book. The drawing of an early in a "Jacked"
state shows the axle  drooping at an angle that it could not reach with an OEM
shock installed.  Great for effect, not very truthful. The other problem with
Corvair  handling is that GM, in an attempt to make the steering as easy as
a full-size  Chevy (most of which had power steering installed) used a very
slow ratio on the  Corvair steering. Easy to turn, and certainly adequate
for "sedate" driving -  which is what most Impala owners did after all. But
the balance of the early  Corvair, specifically without a front bar, could -
once in a while - require  quicker response. And the Corvair steering was
described as "like winding an  alarm clock" for those of us old enough to
remember what that means!

Seth Emerson