<VV> early suspension changes question

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Sep 19 14:40:04 EDT 2011

I am sure you would find the GM produced movie 'Car on Trial' most interesting.  Seems like everyone looked at the book 'Unsafe At Any Speed' and saw the 'tuck under' pictures then accepted his explanation as gospel.  The GM film includes segments of an early model suspension working on a skid pad and generating something over .7G, as much as the engine was able to produce.  It established Mr. Nader's 'tuck under' theory as fallacy.

While you are correct in saying the transverse spring does not locate the wheel you have assumed I said something that I did not.  The mechanical roll center remains as designed but as that spring acts as a quasi roll bar it lowers the apparent roll center.  It reduces the amount of body roll.  The average driver will read the reduced body lean as 'improved' handling.

As Mr. Nader's 'jacking' does not exist in the first place there can be no assumption of performance modification, either positive or negative.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.