<VV> early suspension changes question

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Mon Sep 19 16:10:26 EDT 2011

I guess you've never seen any early autocross pictures?  Jacking with swing axles is very real.  My earlies tend to wear the sidewalls on the rear tires and my lates don't.  Why would that be?  The transverse leaf actually does nothing to resist body roll.  It was designed to increase spring rate without adding any roll resistance so they could use softer main springs to reduce jacking.  I haven't read or seen Nader's book.
Here's a site that has a picture about a third of the way down the page.  I don't agree with the explanation but the jacking is obvious.  He claims that jacking only occurs when the car is upset but I know that it can easily occur just from hard cornering.
Joel McGregor
(I may be unsafe at any speed)