<VV> early suspension changes question

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Tue Sep 20 11:48:48 EDT 2011

Sorry my link didn't come through.
Could you please send me some photos of a non-swing axle car "jacking"?  I've never experienced it and have never seen it.  I would say it's not possible due to the suspension geometry of other cars.
I have seen and experienced jacking in Corvairs when pushed past their limits even with no apparent "upsetting" done by the surface or driver.  I've looped my Late Corvairs, Malibus, Seville, Fiero and El Caminos more times than I can count and they have never jacked or worn the sidewalls.
I'll have to admit that I've never actually seen any of my earlies jack because I've always been driving them.  I'm just assuming that is what is happening when they let loose and the sidewalls end up worn.
Swing axles have tons of camber change and the term "Camber compensator" for the transverse leaf was around long before the '64 Corvair in the VW world.  It was called that because it was intended to prevent extreme camber change in hard corners or "jacking".
I agree that lowering a swing axle car will help prevent jacking.  I would imagine that it is mainly because of the change in axle angle.  Shorter stiffer springs are also a good idea.  I would think wider tires would also help.
I believe that a swing axle car will jack anytime that the down force of the axle(lever) + the spring force + the lateral acceleration force on that wheel/axle overcomes the downward force of the portion of the car's weight that is acting on that corner of the vehicle.

Joel